The Divinely Determined Completeness of God’s Plan or Purpose (7) (Part 6)
Seven-fold Reference of Rewards for Overcomers:
- To Ephesus . . . “To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.” (Rev. 2:7). (Emphasis added). (citizenship in heaven, eternal life).
- To Smyrna . . . “Be though faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. The one who is victorious will not be hurt at all by the second death.” (Rev. 2:10-11). (Emphasis added). (crown of life, eternal life).
- To Pergamum . . . “To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.” (Rev. 2:17). (Emphasis added). (hidden reward, personal acknowledgment by Christ).
- To Thyatria . . . “To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations, that one will rule them with an iron scepter and will dash them to pieces like pottery, just as I have received authority from my Father. I will also give that one the morning star.” (Rev. 2:26-28). (Emphasis added). (shared rulership over nations).
- To Sardis . . . “To the one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name befor my Father and his angels.” (Rev.3:5). (Emphasis added). (eternal salvation, righteousness, public acceptance by Christ).
- To Philadelphia . . . “To the one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name.” (Rev. 3:12). (Emphasis added). (citizenship in New Jerusalem, new identification in Christ).
- To Laodicea . . . “To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.” (Rev. 3:21). (Emphasis added). (shared rulership).
Commentary: At the conclusion or end of each individual letter to each church, Jesus promises a unique blessing to each member of these churches who overcomes. Again, these promises were specific to the Christians at the time John wrote Revelation and are also considered blessings/promises to Christians throughout the ages who overcome. Since there were seven (7) unique letters, there are seven (7) unique blessings or promises. This is not meant to be all inclusive of His promises throughout all of scripture or Revelation. He promises eternal life (tree of life), living in paradise (heaven/New Jerusalem), a crown (life), not hurt by the lake of fire (2nd death), hidden reward, white stone with new name (personal acknowledgement), authority over nations (co-reign), dressed in white (righteousness), name written in the book of life (eternal life, escape white throne judgement), acknowledgement by Christ to the Father, becoming a pillar in the temple of God (citizenship in the New Jerusalem), new name in Christ, the right to sit with Christ on his throne (co-rule). What an amazing list of holy blessings or rewards!
Categories: Revelation of Jesus Christ