The Divinely Determined Completeness of God’s Plan or Purpose (7) (Part 5)
*Seven-fold Exhortations from Christ for Christians to be Overcomers:
- “To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God“. (Rev. 2:7). (Emphasis added).
- “He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death“. (Rev. 2:11). (Emphasis added).
- “To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving that he receiveth it“. (Rev. 2:17). (Emphasis added).
- “And he that overcometh and keepeth my works unto the end will I give power over the nations:“. (Rev. 2:26). (Emphasis added).
- “He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels“. (Rev. 3:5). (Emphasis added).
- “Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God; and I will write upon him my new name“. (Rev. 3:12). (Emphasis added).
- “To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne“. (Rev. 3:21). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: These exhortations by Christ are part of the seven (7) blessings offered by Christ to the Christians in his seven (7) Churches throughout the ages, and at the time John the Apostle received the Revelation from Jesus. The fact that Jesus purposely uses the term overcomers is unique. This term or name suggests a battle, or a fight against overwhelming odds. Someone who is an underdog but somehow overcomes the odds to be victorious. Satan is ruler of the earth and his minions do everything they can to defeat mankind from reaching knowledge of the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Temptations, deceptions, lies, false teachers, false doctrines, distractions, meddling, trickery, excessive wealth, persecution. . .the list goes on and on. Jesus knows what we are up against, yet we can become overcomers by our acceptance of his offer of grace, through the forgiveness of our sins. He knows that we are human and what is is like to be human (since God became incarnate in flesh as Jesus). He also knows that we will stumble, falter and fail along the way. However, he urges us to keep up the fight with him, to fight the good fight and to overcome the traps and pitfalls that Satan puts before us. In the words of Christ, to become overcomers! The desire of Jesus for us to become overcomers is so strong that he provides a unique and special reward to each Christian, along with each one of his exhortations. Each blessing is unique and different!
*(Rev. 12:11) . . . “And they overcame him (beast/antichrist) by the blood of the lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto death.” (Emphasis added).
Jesus didn’t forget his Tribulation Saints! They also receive the designation of overcomers because of their belief in Jesus Christ and his gospel. They witnessed of their belief at the cost of losing their lives (beheading) by the antichrist. Jesus’ designation of overcomers is universal for Christians, regardless of whether or not they came from the Church Age or the combined Tribulation Period.
Categories: Revelation of Jesus Christ