Seven-fold Reference to the Beast’s Mark/Name/Number:
- … “And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads.” (Rev. 13:16). (Emphasis added).
- … ”And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand.” (Rev. 14:9). (Emphasis added)
- … “And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name”. (Rev. 14:11). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.” (Rev. 15:2). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.” (Rev. 16:2). (Emphasis added).
- … “ And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimestone.” (Rev. 19:20). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I saw the thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hand; and they live and reigned with Christ a thousand years.” (Rev. 20:4). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The beast/antichrist uses a mark to identify those who belong to his evil kingdom. The mark of the beast is physically apparent on the forehead or right hand of his citizens. What this mark will look like is a matter of debate and conjecture. It could be a stamp using non-removable die, a tattoo, or even a physical blemish that results from genetic manipulation. Cattle are often marked or branded by their ranchers or owners for identification. The process of cattle branding uses extremly hot fire to heat up a metal die or stamp (at the end of a long metal pole). The metal stamp is heated until the point of being red hot (glowing), or hot enough to burn a mark, initials or emblem into the leathery, thick skin of the cattle. This leaves a mark deep enough, that the cattle cannot outgrow the rancher’s mark of ownership. They permanently belong to him, until they are sold and slaughtered. By the beast/antichrist using a mark to identify his ownership of unredeemed souls, he views them as cattle…ready for the slaughterhouse of hell. The marking of unredeemed souls compares very differently to the seals or sealing used by God on those redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ. (Rev. 3:12, 7:3-4, 7:5-8, 14:1).
Historically, a seal was placed by a king on a document to authenticate the document’s origin and ownership. In many cases, wax would be heated to the point of melting and dripped onto the document’s edges. As the wax was drying, the king would use a signet ring or royal stamp to put his initials, mark, or royal crest (emblem) into the wax. As long as the seal was not broken, the person receiving the official document, sealed and in tact, immediately knew who sent the document and that it was not tampered with. The recipient could then be assured of the document’s authenticity and accuracy. God applies his seal of ownership to redeemed souls, through Jesus Christ. We have a royal seal of the spirit as opposed to the physical marking characterized by the antichrist. We have been spared a bloody slaughtering, as Christ was already bloodily slaughered on the cross for our behalf. By contrast, the cattle owned by the antichrist/beast will experience a bloody slaughtering at Armegeddon. (Rev. 14:20 “blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hudred furlongs”). The mark of the antichrist/beast indicates the corrupted physical and spiritual image of those he owns. Whereas, the seal of God, through Jesus Christ, indicates our imager status as belonging to God and of being citizens of heaven and the New Jersusalem. I would rather have the loving, royal seal of God, given to us by Christ, in my heart and head…than to have an ugly, stamp forced or burned onto my forehead or hand.
Once again, in his Revelation to John, the Apostle, Jesus mentions seven (7) times that the mark of the beast will lead to eternal damnation. He cares enough about all of us, to keep repeating himself and reminding us, over and over. Unfortunately, there will be millions (or billions) who ignore or don’t care about his warnings and offer of salvation. The beast/antichrist forces his mark on souls, whereas Jesus, gives us his mark. He doesn’t force himself on anyone who doesn’t want to be idenfied with him or his kingdom. Just as Jesus indicates what happens to “those who take the mark of the beast” (white throne judgement, lake of fire), He also indicates what happens to “those who do not take the mark of the beast”. We are victorious, live and reign with Christ for one thousand years, have harps of God, stand on a sea of glass, sit on thrones. What a contrast in eternal existence!