The Latest: Vatican editor denies interfering in women’s mag
Associated Press•March 26, 2019
VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Latest on the resignation of the editorial board at the Vatican’s women’s magazine (all times local):
The editor of the Vatican newspaper has denied accusations that he sought to discredit the female editors of a monthly magazine that was distributed by his daily.
Andrea Monda, editor of L’Osservatore Romano, said in a statement that he fully respected the autonomy of the women’s insert in the wake of the resignation of its editorial board.
He said at most that he suggested ideas and people to contribute to “Women Church World.”
The magazine founder and the all-female board announced they were leaving, writing a planned editorial and open letter to Pope Francis. They cited what they said was a climate of distrust and claimed there was an attempt to impose male leadership on their publication.
The founder and all-female editorial board of the Vatican’s women’s magazine have quit after coming under what they say was a Vatican campaign to discredit them and put them “under the direct control of men” that increased after they denounced the sexual abuse of nuns by clergy.
The editorial committee of “Women Church World,” a monthly glossy published alongside the Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano, made the announcement in the planned April 1 editorial and in an open letter to Pope Francis that was provided Tuesday to The Associated Press.
In the editorial, which went to the printer last week but hasn’t been published, magazine founder Lucetta Scaraffia wrote: “We are throwing in the towel because we feel surrounded by a climate of distrust and progressive de-legitimization.”