Seven-fold Symbolic Figures:
- “a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.” (Rev. 12:1-2). (Mother – Israel).
- “and behold a great dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven and did cast them to earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.” (Rev. 12:3-4). (Satan-Devil).
- “And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon the horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy. And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth and the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and his great authority.” (Rev.13:1-2). (Antichrist, his political/military kingdom, and the location of his capital – Babylon City).
- “So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. (Rev. 17:3). (Mystery Religion Babylon and the ten-nation political/military confederacy which supports the mystery religious system).
- “And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.And he exerciseth all the power of first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.” (Rev. 13:11-12). (False Prophet).
- “And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.” (Rev 12:5). (Rapture/harpazo of the Church – Bride of Christ).
- “And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all of the tribes of the children of Israel.” “And I looked, and lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Zion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.” “These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb withersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.” “And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.” (Rev. 7:4, 14:1, 14:4, 14:5). (Jews who accepted Christ as their Savior, and are among the first men in the Tribulation to do so).
Commentary: Historically, Babylon has been used interchangeably to mean the actual, physical city where the antichrist has his capital, and to also mean the false religious system, and also to represent his evil political-military kingdom. Verse 17:9 clears up the mystery of what the seven heads with seven crowns mean . . .”The seven heads are seven mountains (not hills), on which the woman sitteth.” The geological description clearly suggests that where the city and false religion reside is nestled within mountains or mountain ranges. A crown was also historically used to describe a tall or large mountain. Seven Heads – Seven Crowns – Seven Mountains all mean the same thing and are used interchangeably. The ten (10) horns represent 10 kings or political rulers that make up the backbone of the antichrist’s political/ military engine. They provide him with the political and military backing he needs to enforce his rulership. These 10 kings and nations support the false religion initially sold to the deceived masses of the world. It is likely that they will enforce the new mystery religion, along with beast worship, as the official religion of their nations/states/kingdoms. Their decision to endorse the false, mystery religion (Mystery Religion Babylon), acts as a form of political endorsement of the antichrist’s official religion.
Once Satan demonically possess’ the antichrist at the midpoint of the Tribulation and enacts his Abomination of Desolation in the rebuilt Jewish Temple, he demands total and complete worldwide worship of him as God. They Mystery Religion of Babylon served its purpose to buy him time to get his system up and running, and also served as an effective ‘bait-n-switch’ strategy. Satan and the antichrist no longer need the services of their mystery religion and hence forth outlaw it and destroy it. The 10 kings follow this policy in lock-step fashion and proceed to abolish the mystery religion from their nations/ states/kingdoms. The official religion of Satan/Antichrist/False Prophet is now the exclusive worship of the antichrist (indwelt by Satan himself). This is the only way that Satan can get mankind, nations and peoples of the world to worship him directly (is through his indwelling of the antichrist). The Dragon is clearly Satan, and he is literally kicked out of heaven with one-third 1/3rd of the angels (his fallen angelic co-horts and conspirators). He is thrust down to earth, with these evil co-horts, and immediately begins setting up his evil kingdom to be ruled by the antichrist. Satan commences to give the beast/antichrist his power, seat and authority. Once he is on earth, Satan also wants to devour (destroy) the woman (Israel) and the child (Church), as the Church is in the process of being born (by being raptured).
It is generally understood (although some may suggest otherwise) that the current Church Age was conceived at Pentecost, by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Conversely, after nearly 2,000 years of gestation, the child (Church) will be born at some point in the near future as suggested by Rev. 12:1-5. Interestingly, Satan appears to know when this birth will occur and is waiting to destroy the child as it is being born. Miraculously, the child (Church) is caught up unto God immediately as it is born. The child (Church) does not ascend up to heaven in glory as Christ did 2,000 years ago, instead, it is literally caught (just as a baby is caught immediately as it leaves the birth canal) and taken directly to the Grandfather (God and his throne). The man is Jesus Christ, he does not ascend, nor is he caught up unto heaven, nothing in these verses suggest anything like this. Notice, Satan is NOT sitting and waiting to devour the man (Jesus Christ), he is only waiting to devour the child. It is relatively easy to explain, why this is the case. Jesus Christ has never been threatened by Satan, in the past, present or future. There is no reason for God to catch up the man in verse 12:5. Jesus has already risen and sits at the right hand of God. To suggest that this verse refers to Christs ascension is not logical. The reference to Christ as the man occurs only once in the entire context of the surrounding verses 12:1-6. The word of God mentions the man in order to reference Christ’s ruling authority, with a rod of iron over the nations. Man (Christ) is co-mentioned with the child (Church) because the raptured Church is promised to co-reign with Christ, with a rod of iron over the nations. The concept of the Church co-reigning with Christ is repeated often throughout Revelation and is not a mystery or topic of great debate or discussion. Most Christians, who study the bible, know this promise and reward from Christ. The reference to both Christ and the Church co-ruling together is valid and un-mistakable as referenced in Rev. 12:5. The woman (Israel) is the mother who gave birth to Jesus Christ (man), through the line of Jacob and also birthed the Church, Christianity (child).
Another reason that Satan won’t attempt to attack Christ is because Satan knows he is incapable of confronting and defeating Jesus Christ. Christ has already defeated Satan and Satan knows it is absolutely futile to attempt to confront Jesus Christ. A tactic used throughout history by two uneven adversaries, is for the lesser of the two adversaries to attack the loved ones / family / wife of the greater adversary. This is exactly the case here, Satan knows it is impossible to win against Christ, so he thinks of doing the next best thing . . . going after the loved ones of Christ, the Church, the Bride of Christ. God literally rescues Christ’s loved ones / Church / family / Bride and catches or snatches them before Satan can cause any harm. Grandpa (God) to the rescue! At this point, Satan is really ticked-off because he knows he can’t fight Christ, he knows the opportunity to destroy Christ’s family of loved ones was quickly grabbed away from him. So, he does the only thing left for him to do . . . he attempts to go after and destroy Israel, with a flood (Rev. 12:13-17). Notice his priority is to go after everything related to Jesus. . .first! He wants to attack Christ, but knows he can’t. He wants to go after the child (Church) and can’t. He goes after Israel with flood, but the earth opens up and diverts the flood waters away from the fleeing Israelites. They are then provided supernatural protection and sustenance for 3 ½ years. Yet, once again, Satan’s attempt through his antichrist fails miserably. Next in the pecking order of potential victims, Satan/antichrist goes after a remnant of Jews (the 144,000 virgins, from the tribes of Israel, supernaturally sealed with God’s protection because of their faith in the Lamb). God shows us, repeatedly in these passages, that he loves and protects those who are his. They are spared his wrath which is intended for evil and evil mankind.
A final thought regarding all of these symbolic and mysterious references is that it helps to understand that Satan has ALWAYS tried to (unsuccessfully) duplicate what God has already done. Satan’s five (5) “I WILL” (Isaiah 14:13-14) indicates he desires to be and act like God. The only thing he can do is to falsely attempt duplicating whatever God has done. God offer salvation through his only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Satan offers eternal damnation through the beast/antichrist (his false version of Jesus Christ). Jesus had John the Baptist and other saints proclaim and witness to his arrival. The beast/antichrist use a false prophet to sell the masses on a series of lies and false worship, that people desperately want to hear and swallow ‘hook-line-and-sinker’, to their eternal doom. Christ was crucified, died and buried, and on the following third day, he rose again. As such, there appears to be a either a political-military coup or a direct attempt at killing the beast/antichrist and he appears to be mortally wounded. However, he is Satanically healed, lives again to the wonderment of the world. Once again they are deceived by this extremely evil, false and blasphemous facsimile of Christ’s death and resurrection. Another relevant analogy of Satan attempting to duplicate God’s glory is through the establishment of the antichrist’s capital of Babylon. It is an opulent city of immense wealth, luxury, glitter and ‘bling’. Materialism and wealth worship unleashed.
This is Satan’s idea of glory, give the people what they want, not what they need. This is obviously in sharp contrast to the city of New Jerusalem. Although New Jerusalem is an extremely beautiful city made of precious materials, the glory that powers this city is not wealth or the worship of wealth, but rather, it is filled with the glory of and powered by God and Jesus Christ. Jesus is the wealth of the city, not lucre. It is driven by true worship of Jesus, and not by the worship of money and/or luxury. Satan takes something holy and beautiful, created by God, and turns it completely inside-out and upside-down, into something evil, horrible and immensely ugly. Always has, always will.
Categories: Revelation of Jesus Christ