Satanic Evil and Influence on Earth and of Men (5)
Five (5) is an imperfect, uneven or ‘odd’ number. There are no multiples of other numbers that lead to five (5). The five (5) “I Will” statements of Lucifer (Isaiah 14:13-14) reflect his deception and boastful ego … or ‘PRIDE’ (pride is made up of five letters). Satan’s ‘PRIDE’ is manifest throughout Revelation, in a number of counterfeit entities that mimic what God, the Father, has done through his only begotten son, Jesus Christ. John the Apostle’s Revelation of Jesus Christ, treats the dragon/serpent, Satan/Devil with the number five (5), to represent his characteristics, actions, behavior, power and influence over mankind and the nations. Five (5) is a number that is NOT divisible into any of God’s divine numbers.
Five-fold Reference to Persecution of the Woman (Israel) by the serpent/dragon:
- … “And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.“ (Rev. 12:13). (Empahasis added).
- … “And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time (3 ½ years), from the face of the serpent.” (Rev. 12:14). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.” (Rev. 12:15). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.” (Rev. 12:16). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Rev. 12:17). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The descriptive use of (d)ragon and (s)erpent are used a total of 5 (five) times in the context of persecuting Israel (the woman). The dragon goes to devour the child (Church) as soon as it is born, only to be thwarted by God’s miraculous “catching up” (rapture/harpazo) of the Church. Next, the dragon goes to persecute the woman (Israel) by trying to destroy her with a flood, only to be thwarted miraculously by the earth that swallows the flood. The dragon is getting exceedingly angry wroth with the woman because he can’t catch and destroy her. Since the woman (Israel) is supernaturally protected in the wilderness for 3 ½ years, the dragon does the only thing left for him to do. He goes after and makes war with the remnant of the woman’s (Israel’s) seed. The remnant are redeemed Jews that have come to believe in Jesus Christ as their savior or “have the testimony of Jesus Christ”, and have accepted forgiveness of their sins, through the shedding of Christ’s blood and not through animal sacrifices. There are two important points or themes made in these concise, five verses; the dragon (Satan) literally tries to destroy, devour or kill those who are loved by God and Christ. The child (Church age believers), the woman (Israel) and her remnant (144,000 redeemed Jews from the 12 tribes). In every attempt, Satan is kept from causing any of these groups harm. All three groups are supernaturally protected. God protects those who love him and the Lamb, and have placed their faith and salvation in Jesus Christ. The Church, Israel and her remnant are so important and a desired prize to the dragon (Satan), that he persecutes and tries to devour them himself. The beast/antichrist’s role is to deceive evil mankind and the nations. Satan targets the most important prizes for himself.