Three’s (3) Denote God’s emphasis and Intensity. Three scoops of ice cream are better than one or two scoops! If you want to impress upon someone, give them three scoops. That will be about as much as most people can handle. Emphasize three scoops of someone’s favorite flavor and that will wake up their taste buds … now that is intense! God uses three’s (3) to say what he means and to mean what he says.
- Three-fold Reference to Life (Book of Life / Tree of Life / Water of Life).
- Three-fold Reference to the Tree of Life.
- Three-fold Reference to the Water of Life.
- Three-fold Reference to devils.
- Three-fold Reference to New Jerusalem.
- Three-fold Reference to Christ’s Kingdom.
- Three-fold Reference to Harps.
- Three-fold Reference to the Prayers of Saints.
- Three-fold Reference to Rod of Iron.
- Three-fold Reference to Holy.
- Three-fold Reference to New Songs.
- Three-fold References to White.
- Three-fold References to Trumpet Voices.
- Three-fold Symbolic References to Israel being a Mother.
- Three-fold Reference to the Tribes of Israel.
- Three-fold Reference to the Child (Christian Church).
- Three-fold References to Remnant.
- Three-fold Reference to Fellow-Servant.
- Three-fold Reference to Heavenly Temple of God.
- Three-fold Reference to Prophets Speaking Through the Power of the Holy Spirit.
- Three-fold Symbolic Women (Mother, Bride, Whore).
- Three-fold Reference to Beast’s Kingdom.
- Three-fold Reference to Satan’s 1,000 Year Bottomless Pit Imprisonment.
- Three-fold Reference to Satan’s Battle in Heaven.
- Three-fold Reference to Unclean Spirits.
- Three-fold Reference to Hail.
- Three-fold Reference to Special Plagues.
- Three-fold Reference to Men Blaspheming God.
- Three-fold Reference to the serpent.
- Three-fold References to Deception.
- Three-fold Reference to Mountains.
- Three-fold Reference to Affliction of Christians.
Three-fold Reference to Life (Book of Life / Tree of Life / Water of Life):
- Book of Life. (7X). (Rev. 3:5, 13:8, 17:8, 20:12, 20:15, 21:27, 22:19)
- Tree of Life. (3X). (Rev. 2:7, 22:2, 22:14)
- Water of Life. (3X). (Rev. 21:6, 22:1, 22:17)
Commentary: The book, tree and water of life. Tree of life and water of life, each have 3 (three) references, denoting God’s emphasis and intensity regarding a subject, action or event. The tree of life exists in the heavenly city, New Jerusalem. It has 12 (twelve) manner of fruit, a different fruit for each month, and the leaves of which are used for medicinal purposes by the men and nations of earth. The tree of life does not exist on earth, but is physically located in New Jerusalem. Only redeemed men or the saints, are able to have access to the tree of life to enjoy its heavenly fruit. The water of life also only exists in New Jerusalem and flows directly out of or from the throne of God. God allows anyone who freely wants to drink from the crystal pure river, to drink as much as they want. Whether the reference to water is figurative (word of God) or literal (crystal clear, pure water), either result is the same. Saints or the Bride of Christ are able to access either freely and God will supply abundantly. There is no shortage of the word of God, or the water of life. Being the case is made for physical fruit from the tree of life, it is most likely accurate to believe that the water of life is also a physically crystal clear and perfect water. The book of life receives the most references, seven (7) which denotes God’s divinely completed purpose or plan. The book of life is so important (for a man’s name to be in it), that the Holy Spirit refers to it 7 (seven) times.
The book of life is a sort of book-of-ledgers (using an accounting term). It reflects and contains the names of men who have accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, through his forgiveness of their sins and the shedding of his blood. They have acknowledged that Jesus Christ is Lord and believed he is who he said he was, while they were alive on earth. The book of life also contains a record of these men’s deeds, both good and bad, even though they are saved by the grace of God and Jesus Christ. In some cases, men will be rewarded for their faithful service and/or not lose any of the rewards that were set aside for them. Other saved men, however, might have some rewards withheld from them for something they did or didn’t do to benefit the kingdom of Christ. Only Christ knows what any of these rewards or withholdings are. The Bible does indicate that Christ sets aside as many a 5 (five) various crowns for Christian overcomers depending on either what they had to endure while alive, or what they did for the benefit of Christ’s kingdom. In any event, these things are accounted for in the book of life. The most eternally important thing is to have your name “listed in” Christ’s book of life and to NOT have your name “blotted out of the book of life.” If you die and have not accepted Jesus Christ’s offer of salvation through the forgiveness of your sins by the shedding of his blood, your name is erased, removed or blotted out from his book of life. Jesus Christ is the author of life, and your name has to be in the book he authored in order to receive eternal life, receive the rewards he has set aside for you and to escape the lake of fire, also known as the “second death.”
Three-fold Reference to the Tree of Life:
- … “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” (Rev. 2:7). (Emphasis added).
- … “In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.” (Rev. 22:2). (Emphasis added).
- … “Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.” (Rev. 22:14). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: An interesting description … twelve manner of fruit. Twelve (12) represents God’s divinely constitutional organization, either in heaven or earth. God has a reason why there are 12 types of fruit, instead of 2, 5, 9, 11 (odd numbers). The 12 fruits would equate to one new fruit, every solar month on earth (in terms of timing). The bible is clear that there will be a literal, physical kingdom of Christ on earth during the millennium. His kingdom includes nations of people, from the regeneration of the human race from the tribulation period. The leaves from the tree of life will be used for medicinal purposes, by the nations on the earth. Keep in mind that the tree of life is in Christ’s New Jerusalem city, whereas, the nations are on earth. These leaves that have properties of physical healing are a gift that Jesus gives to people on earth. Carefully notice, that these leaves are given to people of earth, and not to the heavenly saints. Why? In New Jerusalem (and heaven); death, sickness, disease and sin do not exist. Saints have glorified bodies that are not subject to decay and are designed to last for eternity.
It is logical that there is no need for a saint with a glorified body to have need of the medicinal purposes from the leaves of the tree of life. The medicinal benefits from these leaves are intended for the people on earth, who will still experience physical ailment and death (even though earth has been returned to an Eden like state). Manner of fruit suggests a variety. The bible is silent on the manner or type of fruit. Why would saints want to eat from the tree of life, if they already have glorified bodies and don’t need physical sustenance. In one word, enjoyment. The marriage feast or supper clearly indicates that food is enjoyed in heaven. When Christ returned from his advent in his glorified body, he ate fish. It is not that we need physical nutrients, but rather, we can eat for the pure joy of it! We won’t get bored of eating, because something new will be available each month. Just as we look forward to apples in the fall, and strawberries in the summer, we will have something heavenly to look forward to eat every monthly cycle! Another layer upon layer, truth upon truth, numbers within numbers.
Three-fold Reference to the Water of Life:
- … “And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.” (Rev. 21:6). (Emphasis added).
- … “And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.” (Rev. 22:1). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.” (Rev. 22:17). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The water of life flows out from the throne of God and the Lamb. This can be interpreted two ways, but each way still results in a very similar outcome. One interpretation is that the water of life refers to the word of God which gives everlasting life to the person who seeks it. The inference being that God freely provides his word and its benefits. The other interpretation is that the water of life is a literal water of the ultimate purity which has special properties or value. Just as the tree of life will provide special fruit everyone month of the year, the water of life will always be available for those in heaven to enjoy. It is not that the water is needed to sustain glorified bodies, but is provided for enjoyment. Each interpretation is valid and each outcome is basically the same. Water of life, as God’s word and as a literal water, both provide enjoyment, refreshment and life. The water of life is a fountain or river, it is clear and pure as crystal, it comes from God and it is freely and abundantly available to whoever is thirsty!
Three-fold Reference to devils:
- … “And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:” (Rev. 9:20). (Emphasis added).
- …”For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.” (Rev. 16:14). (Emphasis added).
- …”And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.” (Rev. 18:2). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: devils (lowercase) is not capitalized. These three (3) references are not of names, but are descriptive. The “devils of idols,” “the spirits of devils,” and “the habitation of devils.” devils is used to describe something evil and plural (meaning many). Some of these devils are man-made (gold, silver idols, etc.). Other devils are demonic spirits of some type or another. The last reference as a habitation of devils infers to a physical place, Babylon City, as a place where devils are commonplace. All three uses of devils is appropriate in the context in which they are used.
Three-fold Reference to New Jerusalem:
- … “Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God which is new Jerusalem, which commeth down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.” (Rev. 3:12). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.” (Rev. 21:2). (Emphasis added).
- … “And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,” (Rev. 21:10). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: All three verses describe the New Jerusalem, as coming down from or descending out of heaven. It is a heavenly city that is literally created new, and comes down in proximity to a renewed earth. The New Jerusalem is intended to be God’s and The Lamb’s place of being with redeemed saints. Other verses that refer to the New Jerusalem indicate how magnificent and glorious it is. Natural (sunlight) or artificial light will not even be necessary to light it because the light and glory of God and The lamb will be in it. The New Jerusalem should be distinguished from the earthly or current Jerusalem in Israel. The New Jerusalem becomes an upgrade in function and form compared to the older, heavenly based temple. It is God’s desire to tabernacle or dwell with redeemed men in this city.
Three-fold Reference to Christ’s Kingdom:
- … “I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Rev. 1:9). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.” (Rev. 11:15). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.” (Rev. 12:10). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: Taken in context together, these three verses indicate that Jesus Christ has a spiritual kingdom on earth, that the physical kingdoms of this world will become his and that he has a heavenly kingdom as well. Ultimately, Jesus Christ will reign over his universal kingdom, in both in the spiritual and physical realms, for eternity.
Three-fold Reference to Harps:
- … “And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the lamb, having everyone of them harps, and golden vials full of incense, which are the prayers of saints.” (Rev. 5:8). (Emphasis added).
- … ”And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:” (Rev. 14:2). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on a sea of glass, having the harps of God.” (Rev. 15:2). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The harp has been historically associated with anything resembling or being described as heavenly music. It is a very unique stringed instrument. Whether or not the reference is to actual harps, or some type of metaphor for all types of heavenly instruments, it doesn’t matter. These harps, or instruments, are played only in heaven. They require someone to play them, they don’t play themselves. They play a role in worship. It is inferred that they please God, along with the prayers of saints that are offered to God along with the music created by the harpers with their harps. Interestingly, as a side note, the Bible speaks of harps, trumpets, horns as devices which product sounds, for various purposes. Harps are not used by the opening band, at a concert, but are reserved for the main act. The four beasts have harps, and presumably have the ability to play them. The heavenly organization of twenty-four elders, each of them has a harp. The Tribulation Saints are given harps. The diversity of who has harps, indicates the importance that harps play in the worship of God and of his pleasure. The music of harps is so important to God that it is on par with the prayers he receives from the saints.
Three-fold Reference to the Prayers of Saints:
- … ”And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the lamb, having everyone of them harps, and golden vials full of incense, which are the prayers of saints.” (Rev. 5:8). (Emphasis added).
- … “And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.” (Rev. 8:3). (Emphasis added).
- . … “And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel’s hand.” (Rev. 8:4). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The prayers of saints is something extremely important and pleasing to God. It is evidence of their faith and belief in him. It is evidence of their reliance upon him and acknowledgement of who he is. Just as a parent whose young child comes to them asking for help, or to read them a bed-time story, or for a glass of water, the parent is happy that the child is reaching out to them. God is no different from the parent. He desires a relationship with his grandchildren. Just as a parent is excited when they receive a letter (an email? a text?) from their college student, or the joy experienced by a grandparent who receives a crayon drawn card from a grandchild. God is delighted to hear the prayers, concerns, requests, love, and worship from his saints. The importance of these prayers is so great, that they are not entreated to just any entity to handle, but come with top priority / premium class postage delivery. The four beasts in front of God’s throne offer these special delivery prayer packages to God directly. They don’t drop the prayers off at the curb, or in a mailbox, or throw them on the lawn or in the bushes. The packages are not delivered late, or lost. Every prayer is collected immediately, and delivered upon receipt. These prayers are not stuck in God’s doorway or slip and fall down in between the throne and the altar. The four beasts and twenty-four elders personally, hand deliver the prayers of saints in special packaging (vials) to God directly. The saint’s prayers are spiritually expedited from earth to God’s throne immediately. God is standing at his throne or standing by the front door waiting to hear from us, and want’s our prayers to be hand delivered to him. God even has angels in the act of delivering saint’s prayers to him. Do we send “letters” to God, daily, weekly, once-in-awhile, or only when we desperately need something? How about just to thank him?
Three-fold Reference to Rod of Iron:
- … ”And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.” (Rev. 2:27). (Emphasis added).
- … “And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. And her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.” (Rev. 12:5). (Emphasis added).
- … “And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.” (Rev. 19:15). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: A rod of iron is something that is unbreakable, stiff, strong, will not bend, firm and commanding when held in the hand. These verses are not to suggest that Jesus Christs or his co-rulers, the saints, will go around carrying rods of iron. Instead, the verses suggest that Jesus Christ will rule over the nations firmly. His rule will be unbreakable, his authority firm and commanding. His decisions will be strong and unyielding. There will be none of mankind’s waffling, inertia or bureaucratic bottlenecking or sinful ruling by government authorities on addressing problems and needs of their citizens. Imagine, no corrupt, bungling politicians, administrators or shadow government. No tolerance for political posturing or threats to gain territory at another countries expense. Jesus Christ knows mankind’s motivations, political tendencies and the need for man to have help in his governance. Jesus Christ’s omnipotence enables him to know everything it will take to peacefully and effectively rule his kingdom. The kind of bickering, posturing and lying that goes on today from countries represented at the United Nations, will thankfully, become a distant and soon forgotten memory. The evilness and sinfulness of the beast’s/antichrist’s government will become a distant memory as yet another failed attempt at worldwide government. Only Jesus Christ will rule mankind peacefully and effectively, during his millennial kingdom. He will rule as if he had a rod of iron at his side or in his hand. His decisions will stand and be the law. History, will ultimately show, that mankind is unable to successfully govern himself, without the guidance, strength and leadership of the one who has the rod of iron. Just as children are incapable of governing themselves and need a parent, Jesus Christ will provide the governing strength and absolute authority needed to rule mankind.
Three-fold Reference to Holy:
… “And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.” (Rev. 4:8). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: This is the only reference in all of the book of Revelation, where Holy is used three times, consecutively. Holy is used in the context of worship and is repeated three (3) times for emphasis and intensity.
Three-fold Reference to New Songs:
- … “And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation:” (Rev. 5:9). (Emphasis added).
- … “And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.” (Rev. 14:3). (Emphasis added).
- … “And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.” (Rev. 15:3). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The first reference (Rev. 5:9) is of redeemed men or saints from every kindred, tongue, people and nations during the Church Age (Bride of Christ). These redeemed men or saints are in heaven and are singing a new song, praising God and Jesus Christ. The second reference (Rev. 14:3) is the 144,000 redeemed men from the 12 (twelve) tribes of Israel, during the Tribulation. They are on earth, on mount Sion and are singing a new song unto Jesus Christ, which only they know. Since these are saved Jews, their song is unique to their redemption based on having denied Christ as their Messiah for over 2,000 years. The last reference (Rev. 15:3) is song singing the praise of Jesus Christ, by the Tribulation Saints. These men were saved by Christ, during the seven year Tribulation period. They overcame the beast, his image, him mark and the number of his name. They didn’t fall for any of the satanic deception that runs rampant worldwide during the Tribulation. Each group of believers; the Church Age Saints (Bride of Christ), the 144,000 saved Jews on earth during the Tribulation, and the redeemed saints/martyrs of the Tribulation all have a special reason to be thankful for the saving grace provided by Jesus Christ. Each group of believers is unique and each group have something special to sing about regarding their redemption through Christ. Each group has a “new song” or unique song of praise.
Three-fold References to White:
- White Raiment. (Rev. 4:4). Twenty-four (24) Elders.
- White Robes. (4X). (Rev. 6:11, 7:9, 7:13 and 7:14). Tribulation Saints.
- White Linen. (3X). (Rev. 15:6, 19:8 and 19:14). Church Saints and Angels.
Commentary: White raiment is used to describe what the twenty-four 24 elders are wearing in God’s throne room. White robes are used to describe what the Tribulation Saints are given. White linen is used to describe the clothing of Church Saints and Angels. White is symbolic for righteousness. White Robes is referenced four (4) times, White Linen is reference three (3) times. Within these three verses are three references to white and three references to a form of clothing. This another double of a double (3+3) of three (3). The group of four (4) entities identified; 24 elders, Tribulation Saints, Church Saints and Angels all have the righteousness of Christ and participate in his government in heaven and on earth.
Three-fold References to Trumpet Voices:
- … “I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.” (Rev. 1:10). (Emphasis added).
- … “After this an I looked up, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter.” (Rev. 4:1). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!” (Rev. 8:13). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: All three references are made by John the Apostle, while being in/with the Holy Spirit and are part of his vision(s). The use of a great voice or the sound of a trumpet is to get and command attention. The third reference (Rev. 8:13) is of John witnessing and hearing the voices of three angels on earth who are proclaiming warning to men. These angels voices were as trumpets, loud and attention getting. The angels are trying to get men’s attention to warn them of the woes that are coming. Men don’t appear to pay any attention or take the angelic warnings seriously. Voice and trumpet are used exactly three (3) times to denote emphasis and intensity in trying to get evil men’s attention.
Three-fold Symbolic References to Israel being a Mother:
- Giving birth to the Children of Israel. (Tribes of Israel). (3X). (Rev. 5:5, Rev. 7:4-8, Rev. 21:12).
- Giving birth to a Man. (Jesus Christ). (Rev. 12:5).
- Giving birth to a Child. (Christian Church). (3X). (Rev. 12:2, 12:4, 12:5).
Commentary: Israel is divinely credited with giving birth to its twelve (12) Tribes, to Jesus Christ (through the genetic line of David) and of the redeemed saints of Christianity through their Judaic spiritual heritage. (Child, Bride of Christ). The Children (Tribes) of Israel and the Child (Christian Church) are each given three references, denoting emphasis of their status as related to Israel. All three entities combined are given a total of seven (7) references, denoting God’s divinely determined completeness to his plan or purpose.
Three-fold Reference to the Tribes of Israel:
- … “And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seals therof.” (Rev. 5:5). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand (144,000) of all the tribes of the children of Israel. Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manases were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.” (Rev. 7:4-8). (Emphasis added).
- … “And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel.” (Rev. 21:12). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The first reference indicates that Jesus Christ is the “Lion of the tribe of Judah.” The second reference indicates that 12,000 Jews from each of the twelve (12) Tribes of Israel (144,000 total) are a special, or supernaturally sealed group of Jewish redeemed believers that exist on earth during the seven (7) year Tribulation period. The third and final reference to the Tribes of Israel occurs in the detailed description of the New Jerusalem, that comes down from heaven. New Jerusalem is described as having twelve (12) gates and each gate is assigned or named after one of the Tribes of Israel. As such, anyone (earthly saved Kings, or redeemed saints) can’t enter the city of new Jerusalem without seeing or noticing the name of the Tribe of Israel identified on the gate they are entering. Israel always has, and always will, be the apple of God’s eye and have a special place in God’s divine order of things. As such, they are given special notice and reference at each of the holy gates into the new Jerusalem.
Three-fold Reference to the Child (Christian Church):
- … “And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.” (Rev. 12:2). (Emphasis added).
- … “And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.” (Rev. 12:4). (Emphasis added).
- … “And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.” (Rev. 12:5). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: These three verses, along with other verses in Chapter twelve (12) of Revelation have come under intense scrutiny over the 2017-2018 time period in light of the actual celestial fulfillment and occurrence of Rev. 12:1 on September 23/24, 2017; … “And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars.” It is not my intention to go into great detail regarding who, what, why, where, when and how of this prophetic fulfillment. There are a number of excellent resources available online, by others who are more experienced in commenting on this subject matter and in providing proof of its occurrence. Personally, I go on record in believing that this celestial phenomena in fact did occur, in the manner described in Rev. 12:1. I only bring this up now, because it weighs heavily on our understanding of end times events when taken into context with the supporting verses referenced above (12:2, 12:4, and 12:5).
The “woman being with child” referred to is Israel. The “child” is the Christian Church. Israel/Judaism gave birth to Christianity. Genetically speaking, Israel gave birth to Jesus Christ through the lineage of David. Thus, both Jesus Christ and the Christian Faith were born from Israel. When the Jews/Israel rejected Jesus Christ as their Messiah, Christ then proclaimed his message of salvation to the rest of the world (Gentiles) which was accepted and became known as the Christian Faith. Verses 12:1 through 12:5 use symbolism to describe the characters/entities being referenced. The imagery suggests that the woman (Israel) is pregnant, in labor, and about ready to give birth to the child (Church). In an attempt to not get lost in the forest explaining this, the child (Christian Church Age Believers) has not been born yet. The Christian Church was conceived at Pentecost over 2,000 years ago. As a child, it has gestated for a long time and undergone various permutations of development as exhibited by Christ’s seven letters to the seven churches in Asia-Minor. It is a somewhat commonly held belief that at some point (only known to God), that the child will be ready to be born. It will have gone through the process of being conceived, growing and developing and coming to the point where it can be born and brought home. As stated elsewhere in my commentary, the devil or Satan wants to devour or destroy the Church and to deceive men into not coming to the knowledge of the saving grace of the forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ. As such, the dragon is waiting to devour the child as soon as it is the process of being birthed or born. Miraculously, just as the child is being born, it is caught up and taken home (throne of God) to heaven before the devil can cause it any harm.
This is also known as the blessed hope or the rapturing/harpazo of the Church. Verse 12:5 tells us that the child was to rule all nations with a rod of iron. We know this to be the Church, or redeemed believers from the Church Age because there are many supporting verses that indicate overcomers or Christians will be granted authority to co-rule with Christ, during his Millennial Kingdom. This may come as a surprise to many Christians, but Christ does in fact promise that we will co-rule with him. The Bible is silent on who from Christendom will be granted authority to co-rule with Jesus Christ, or in what capacity. That is to be determined, probably at the Bema Seat of Christ when he judges what each of us have done for his kingdom, while on earth. It is possible that co-ruling with Christ will a special reward or role for a Christian, based on something they did for Christ. We don’t know.
The important thing to understand in the three verses is that Israel is ready to give birth to the Church. That the devil is waiting to destroy, consume or otherwise devour the church once it is deemed full-term by God. And God then rescues the church supernaturally as it is being born. Only God knows how many souls it will take to fill his Church’s nursery or birthing room, or when the conditions for birthing are just right. These three verses also provide strong support to a pre-tribulation rapture of the child, or the Church.
Three-fold References to Remnant:
- … “And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.” (Rev. 11:13). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnantof her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Rev. 12:17). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the remnantwere slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.” (Rev. 19:21). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: There are three types of remnants of men being described, which basically sum up man’s spiritual stages for over the past 2,000 years. Those who do not seek salvation from Jesus Christ (and die from their sin). Those who see their need for salvation and give glory to God and accept his offer of salvation through Jesus Christ. Those who live and keep their life by the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Three-fold Reference to Fellow-Servant:
- … “And white robes were giveb unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.” (Rev. 6:11). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” (Rev. 19:10). (Emphais added).
- … “Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.” (Rev. 22:9). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: Double (2) reference to angels being fellowservants. Double (2) reference that it is wrong to worship angels. Fellowservants are both redeemed souls from the Church Age and Tribulation Age, and also angels. Angels refuse to accept misplaced worship, and sternly command that worship is to/for God. Double (2) reference to brethren, commonly thought of as brothers, but also means a grouping of redeemed souls by Jesus Christ. Both definitions apply. Double (2) signifies God’s solid confirmation of a matter, or an added measure of equal weight or importance. These declaring angels are part of the brethren of angels who are fellowservants to God. The Tribulation Saints are also part of the brethren of redeemed souls who are fellowservants of God. Testimony of Jesus is referenced twice (2). There is a double (2) reference to prophecy/saying of this book. The word of Jesus is prophecy, the book of Revelation is Jesus’ word, therefore, the book of Revelation is prophecy (A+B=C). There are seven doubles in these three verses (angels as fellowservants, wrong to worship angels, two groups of brethren, prophecy/sayings of this book, testimony of Jesus, worship God, two groups of redeemed men). All angels and all redeemed men, ultimately serve God in some capacity or another.
Three-fold Reference to Heavenly Temple of God:
- … ”And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened:” (Rev. 15:5). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.” (Rev. 15:6). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled.” (Rev. 15:8). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The temple contains four (4) things; testimony, seven angels, smoke and glory from God’s power. Two (2) references that contain two (2) descriptions of (seven angels and seven plagues). Two (2) denotes God is solidly confirming a matter and providing a duplicate measure of purpose or plan. Two (2) descriptions of the angels attire (pure, white linen). Seven (7) constitutes God’s divinely determined completeness as to his purpose or plan (seven angels, seven plagues). God’s purpose or plan is that no man can enter into his temple until his wrath is completed on earth by the seven angels with the authority to exercise God’s seven plagues on mankind, during the seven years great tribulation period. Through his word, God introduces us to his temple of the tabernacle three (3) times in Revelation.
Three-fold Reference to Prophets Speaking Through the Power of the Holy Spirit.
- … “John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne; And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first befotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, And hath made us kings and priest unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.” (Rev. 1:4-6). (Emphasis added).
- … “I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Rev. 1:9). (Emphasis added).
- … “And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.” (Rev. 11:3). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: John, the Apostle, received the Revelation of Jesus Christ through the work of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit provided John with visions and of those things which he heard and saw. The Holy Spirit commanded him to “write.” The Holy Spirit prompted John to use symbolism in his writing when the theme or context of what was being communicated was complex. The Holy Spirit worked through John, to provide the prophecies contained throughout Revelation. Although this occurred in the past, the Holy Spirit will still be alive and well and working in the future to empower the two witnesses, or prophets that God sends to earth to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, to evil mankind during the Tribulation period. The Holy Spirit was active in the past, is active today, and will be active in the future. It will enable the two prophets to speak with power, conviction and strength. It will empower them to be able to withstand attempts on their life, it will empower them to inflict plagues on evil men, as they choose. It will empower them to speak the word of God, as he so chooses.
Three-fold Symbolic Women (Mother, Bride, Whore):
- Woman – Mother (Israel). (2X). (Rev. 12:1, 12:4).
- Bride (of Christ). (3X). ( 19:7, 19:8, 19:9).
- Whore (Mystery Religion Babylon). (4X). (Rev. 17:1, 17:15, 17:16, 19:2).
Commentary: Israel is symbolically described as a mother in Revelation 12:1-5. These verses take place in context to being a heavenly sign, “a great wonder.” Celestially speaking, this sign Rev. 12:1 is widely believed by the eschatological community to have literally occurred on September 24, 2017. Personally, I also believe that the “great wonder” sign of Revelation 12:1 did in fact occur, based on the evidence. Israel is described as being with child and travailing in labor. She is also described as given birth to a man (Jesus Christ) and a child (Christian church). Both of whom will rule the nations with a rod of iron. There are other references in Revelation that describe Israel as a woman, but verses 12:1-5 clearly describe her in the context of being a mother and giving painful birth. Some teachers and students of eschatology have suggested that Revelation 12:1 is an ‘exit sign’ of sorts for the Child (or Bride of Christ, if you prefer). Just as signs on the highway tell us we are getting closer and closer to Disneyland, there always comes an exit sign that tells us that a particular exit is the one we have been looking for on our long trip.
The Christian Church is easily understood to be a Bride or Wife (of Christ) in verses 19:7-9. The three consecutive verses are to be taken into context all together as they are describing the same thing (the church). There is a marriage, she has made herself ready, she is arrayed in fine linen, clean and white (righteous), and there is a marriage supper. Those who participate in the marriage supper are also described as blessed. Interestingly, all of these verses describe the Bride or Wife in the past tense, as having already happened and will not occur at some point in the Tribulation future.
The four (4) references to the whore or great whore, require a little bit of discernment. There is an actual, physical, literal city that is given the name Babylon. There is a Mystery Religion Babylon which is the false, evil, tempting religious system propagated by the beast, false prophet and ten kings. Mystery Religion Babylon represents false and idolatrous religious doctrines and blasphemous worship of false idols. The whore or great whore is each used twice in the four verses referenced above. A whore is a temptress that diverts man’s attention away from his true bride or wife. Mystery Religion Babylon is the spiritual whore that seduces men, during the Tribulation period, away from understanding the gospel of Jesus Christ, salvation, redemption, forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ and the proper worship of Jesus and God. The great whore offers up anything and everything for men to worship, other than the true God and Jesus Christ. Hence, the Holy Spirit uses the proper description or metaphor of whore to describe Mystery Religion Babylon.
Three-fold Reference to Beast’s Kingdom:
- … “And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain.” (Rev. 16:10). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.” (Rev. 17:12). (Emphasis added).
- … “For God hath put in their hearts to fulfill his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.” (Rev. 17:17). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The beast/antichrist will have occupy a seat of authority, as a king over a kingdom. He will give ten kings political authority to administer his will, this occurs for a very short period of time or one hour. These ten kings unify themselves and give their sovereignty directly to the beast, as a result of God putting this desire into their hearts. As such, these ten political leaders give up their status as kings (have received no kingdom), but still are given power as of a king. The beast/antichrist is so vain, that he prompts the ten political leaders to give up their ruling titles. In exchange for their allegiance and military might, he then allows them to maintain authority/power in each of their respective countries. This has the net effect of providing the beast/antichrist with exactly what he wants, to be a king with supreme authority over his kingdom and to have a powerful group of political allies that provide him with the military muscle needed for the enforcement of his kingdom and will. It is unusual, and not normal, for a leader of any country, to willingly give up the country’s sovereignty for any reason. No king or political leader willing wants to give up his authority. Threats against sovereignty usually result in warfare. Surprisingly, these ten political leaders willing give up their sovereignty to the beast/antichrist. Verse 17:17 indicates that God put his will into these ten leaders to willingly give up their sovereignty. These three verses indicate that God is in control, He is allowing the beast/antichrist’s kingdom to form, His will determines how long the kingdom will last (one hour). God is so much in control that he even dictates whether or not light will shine in the kingdom. Everything is part and parcel of God’s plan and purpose. The ten kings or political leaders would not give up their titles, status and country sovereignty unless God’s prompts them to do so.
Three-fold Reference to Satan’s 1,000 Year Bottomless Pit Imprisonment:
- … “And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years.” (Rev. 20:1-2). (Emphasis added).
- … “And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.” (Rev. 20:3). (Emphasis added).
- … “And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out his prison.” (Rev. 20:7). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: Three (3) verses, three (3) references, each to a 1,000 year imprisonment of Satan in his prison, the bottomless pit. Curiously, this imprisonment only lasts 1,000 years which is during Jesus Christ’s Millennial Reign on earth. At the very end of the millennial reign, Satan will be loosed a little season to once again tempt mankind to rebel against Jesus Christ and God (which is quickly rebuked by God). Even with the earth being renewed to its original ‘Eden-like’ state (perfect environment) for 1,000 years, men on earth are still evil enough to be tempted by Satan to complain against God and rebel over his authority on earth.
Three-fold Reference to Satan’s Battle in Heaven:
- … “And there was a war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels,” (Rev. 12:7). (Emphasis added).
- … “And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.” (Rev. 12:8). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” (Rev. 12:9). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The rebellious mutiny in heaven is put to an end. Satan knows his time is short and his evil influence on things is coming to an end. At a point in the Tribulation, God has determined that Satan has had enough time in heaven and access to the throne of God (accusing the brethren day and night). Nothing that Satan does goes without God knowing about it, or allowing it. Time is up. And like a belligerent, screaming three-year old child, Satan does not want to permanently leave heaven and his access to it. He fights, kicks and screams to stay up past his bedtime. God will have none of this and orders one of his mightiest warrior angel generals (Michael) to kick Satan and his cohorts out of the house, permanently. Satan fights back, and loses (for the umpteenth time). Michael has a 2:1 ratio of ‘good guys’ (Holy angels) to Satan’s ‘bad guys’ (evil angels). Satan is finally kicked out of heaven “neither was their place found any more in heaven.” When Satan is kicked out of his heavenly home to the curb, where does he end up? Earth, “he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” Satan is not cast out to the sun, moon, mars or some far away galaxy. He gets booted to earth, along with his army of deceiving angels. Could this be a foreshadowing of the Great Deception allowed upon the earth for mankind? What will this massive influx of fallen angels do on earth when they arrive?
Twice in the book of Revelation, we are told that John, the Apostle (one of Christ’s most holiest and key apostles) was inclined to fall at the angel’s feet and worship his heavenly messenger. Revelation 19:10 and 22:3-4 both indicate that John received a stern admonition from the angel, “See thou do it not.” This exact phrase was repeated twice (solid confirmation of a matter). He is told to worship God. Let this sink in for a moment. John the Apostle almost worshipped an angel, a heavenly messenger from God! Few scholars would argue against John being one of the major Apostles for Christ. Yet, here he is, almost worshipping an angel. Let us consider this scenario. Evil angels are kicked out of heaven (along with Satan) and sent to earth. What do they do during this time on earth during the Tribulation and Great Tribulation? No, they don’t play X-Box or a PS3 gaming system. Satan knows his time is short and rallies and motivates his troops to cause all kinds of mayhem and deception. These evil angels are not going to sit quietly on the sidelines and watch what transpires on earth. THEY ARE INVOLVED. I believe their deceptive activities along with those of the beast/antichrist/man of sin and false prophet is to lead men away from the gospel, Christ and the saving knowledge of forgiveness through Christ’s shedding of blood and resurrection. If it took the holy angel to warn John to not worship him, what will restrain evil men from worshiping fallen angels (that will encourage such worship). ‘Worship us and we will tell you the mysteries of the universe.’ I can only imagine evil men being sucked into these abominations of lies. The fallen angels will back up these boasts with false miracles, to extend the scope of deception among mankind. Mark 13:22 states “For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.” This deception is so great that even if there were Christians on the earth, they could possibly be deceived, as much as John the Apostle might have been.
Just for the sake of clarification, it is not possible to deceive Christians, since they are not on earth during the Tribulation. “If it were possible” is a figure of speech. Satan’s rule on earth during the Tribulation through his antichrist, false prophet and fallen angels is founded on deception and lies, plain and simple. Lies, deceit, forgery, false substitutes, smoke and mirrors, false miracles, false doctrines, false religions, false worship, false peace, false security, false resurrection, false immortality. His angels will play a role in the Great Deception, having been kicked out of heaven. They are angry, bitter and resentful of man. They hate God, Christ, man and the other Holy angels. They are on the losing side and they know it. However, when they show up on the earthly scene, they want evil men to think that they are on mankind’s side and have their best interest in mind! A major deceptive lie! Those in heaven are thrilled, they are told to rejoice once the troublemaker is kicked out of the house, “Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them.” (Rev. 12:12). Conversely, why do you think the Bible continues to say in Rev. 12:12, “Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.” First thing the great voice in heaven says is “WOE.” The great voice knows the mayhem and deceit that will be unleashed when Satan and his corp. of devils arrive on the worldly scene. The great voice in heaven knows that Satan is beyond angry or ticked off, he has “great wrath” (or fury). The great voice in heaven also knows that Satan “knoweth that he hath but a short time.” Satan is kicked out of heaven and has his back against the wall on earth. The angriest and deadliest animal is one that is cornered or wounded (pride). Satan is both.
Three-fold Reference to Unclean Spirits:
- … “And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.” (Rev. 16:13). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: Unclean is the opposite of clean or righteous. Therefore, unclean spirits are evil spirits, or those spirits coming from Satan’s kingdom. It is possible, these spirits have a spiritual form representing some form of grotesque frog or amphibian-like creation, however, the reference to frogs might be better understood using a metaphorical interpretation. Frogs are usually camouflaged creatures, blending in and hidden in their environment. You usually don’t know they are in proximity to you unless you see them suddenly jump and swim away. They make a load croaking sound to attract a mate and draw attention to themselves (just as the beast/antichrist wants to draw attention to himself). They can very quickly, in a split second, capture a fly or prey, with a quick thrust of their tongue. If you are an insect, and are in close range of the frog, you will become his meal, very quickly. Apparently, Satan calls up and releases three of his frog-like evil spirits out into the world for them to spiritually attract kings of the earth to do battle at Armageddon. Being camouflaged and otherwise unseen, the kings may not be aware of, and are unsuspecting that they are being targeted with deception by the frog-spirits. You can be sitting on a bench, near a pond or swampy area, and unbeknownst to you, a frog could be sitting a foot away from you on the edge of its domain. Sitting quietly, waiting…and waiting…and waiting for the right moment to capture its prey. The only goal for the unclean, frog-like spirits is to quietly, under camouflage, sneak into the domains of other kings on earth and spiritually goad or prompt them into coming to war at Armageddon. These kings may already be in the thought process of waring either against the beast/antichrist, or in waring against other kings, nonetheless, the evil frog-spirits provide them with a spiritual nudge or suggestion to that they need to come to Armageddon.
Let me suggest this. If you were a king, of let’s say China or India, and you were being told by the beast/antichrist of the world that he directly commands you and your army to attend the battle with the one who sits on throne of heaven, who has great wrath, what would you think? Sure…sign me up, count me in, I’ll be there as soon as my battalions are ready! NOT! The incentive for them to come to Armageddon has to be deceptive, hidden and subtle. They can’t know what they are in for, or else they won’t come…they won’t be ‘gathered to do battle of that great day of God Almighty.’ (Rev. 16:14). The Bible is silent on whatever the incentive or provocation is for these kings. All we know is that three, unclean, frog-like, evil spirits are sent out by Satan, the beast/antichrist and the false prophet to lure foreign kings to come to a great battle at Armageddon. Why does the bible use the reference ‘out of their mouth’ three distinct times? My interpretation is that this is spiritual form of deception or lie is released by each evil entity (Satan, antichrist, and false prophet) by speaking the unclean spirit into existence and commanding it to go out into the world to accomplish what it is capable of accomplishing, and that is to deceive the Kings to come to Armageddon. These spirits will lie, deceive, and manipulate the kings, in any way possible to accomplish Satan’s goal. The evil, unclean, frog-like ‘toadies’ are just the perfect special operations team, from hell or the bottomless pit, to get the job done.
Three-fold Reference to Hail:
- … “The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of the trees was burnt up, and all the green grass was burnt up.” (Rev. 8:7). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.” (Rev. 11:19). (Emphasis added).
- … “And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague therof was exceeding great.” (Rev. 16:21). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: Anyone who has ever watched a weather news brief regarding hail, or watched a youtube video showing the results of a hail storm, can quickly attest to the damage that this form of weather phenomena can cause. Personally, I have seen several videos that have shown hail damage from pea-sized hail, up to hail stone ranging in size from golf balls to even some as large as a baseball. Windshields are cracked and destroyed, awnings knocked down or severely damaged and pitted. Car hoods are badly dented and pitted. Plants are damaged or destroyed. Most anything made of glass or some thin material will most likely be destroyed by a hail storm. The size of a small hail stone is about the size of small caliber gun ammo. If someone is hit in the head, by the right size hail stone, traveling at a high enough speed and at the right angle, this person could easy die. The hail stone doesn’t have to be particularly large to accomplish this. Obviously, the odds of being lethally harmed by a hail stone, go up significantly, as the size of the hail stone increases. I believe, and most people would probably agree with me, that if a person were hit in the head with hail stone the size of a golf ball or a baseball, that person would most likely be killed.
What about the reference to great hail, having the weight of a talent? What does this translate into? Elsewhere, in this commentary on the book of Revelation, I have taken pains to calculate and translate the weight of a talent into pounds. About 75 pounds, is the answer. “You mean to tell me that there can be a hailstone weighing as much as 75 pounds?” The short answer is, yes. If you accept what the Holy Spirit says is true in verse 16:21, then the referenced hail stones weigh almost 75 pounds each. How many hailstones are there in an average hail storm? I have no idea, and I don’t want to stand in a hail storm (of any size stone) and conduct a random sampling or collection of stones, in order to measure their weight or to determine the volume of stones in a square meter of my yard. The hail storm referenced above is literally of Biblical proportion and not a normal, storm of pea-sized hail. What would a 75 pound hail stone do hitting the room of a house, or buildings. What about telephone poles, outdoor HVAC systems or communications equipment? A car being hit by a large number of hail stones at 75 pounds each, traveling at high rates of speed, would be literally totaled and unsalvageable. What if you or I were hit by any object, weighing 75 pounds and travelling at 100 mph or greater speeds? I don’t believe survival would be an outcome.
The reference to hail, in all three verses is to suggest that it is just one of natural phenomena that God will use in his wrath poured out onto evil mankind during the Tribulation. The Bible is silent on how long the great hail storm lasts, whether the storm is worldwide, regional or just targeting Babylon. We don’t know. What we do know, is the relative weight of each hail stone and the volume of hail are considered to be in the league with a plague, and that it causes great damage and inflicts great pain on evil men. As a result, evil men literally blaspheme God and curse/swear at him for sending the plague. Oh, these men fully know who is sending them the plague and yet “repent not.” The hail obviously causes extensive physical damage, and inflicts great pain. Yet prideful men’s egos are such that the hail stones are not sufficient to damage their egos, let alone encourage them to repent and ask for forgiveness. In other words, evil men’s hearts are harder and heavier than 75 pound hailstones.
Three-fold Reference to Special Plagues:
- Noisome/Grievous Sore: … “And the first (angel) went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image.” (Rev. 16:2). (Emphasis added).
- Scorching Heat: … “And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And Men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.” (Rev. 16:8-9). (Emphasis added).
- Great Hail: … “And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.” (Rev. 16:21). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: These three special plagues are directly poured out onto evil men during the second half of the Tribulation period (Great Tribulation). They are part of the first, fourth and seventh vial wraths or final plagues. The second, third, fifth, and sixth vials are wraths poured out directly onto the earth and not men. These men are afflicted with very painful or grievous sores or boils, they are scorched with severe, extreme, flesh searing heat, and are also pounded with 75 pound hailstones. A celestial one, two and three sledgehammer blow to the gut, jaw and head of evil men. God’s will is to use nature to afflict men with these extreme calamities or afflictions. The Bible is clear that these men know who is sending them these plagues (God), but in all three instances, these men “repent not” and “don’t give God glory”. Their hearts are as hard as the 75 pound hailstones hammering them. God is done trying to provide evil men with prophets, witnessing, testimonials, words, warnings and exhortations. He is now dealing directly with evil men, through the direct outpouring of his wrath. He is trying to knock some sense into these men and also to punish them for the evil they are doing. As is the case, time and time again during the Tribulation, men’s minds are dull and their hearts are exceedingly hard, as a result they “repent not.” In addition to not repenting, they proceed further into blaspheming God or cursing at him directly. They know who he is … and yet they still curse at him in evil defiance.
Three-fold Reference to Men Blaspheming God:
- … “And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.” (Rev. 16:9). (Emphasis added).
- … “And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.” (Rev. 16:11). (Emphasis added).
- … ” And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.” (Rev. 16:21). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: God is blasphemed four (4) times in these verses. The first comes from the beast/antichrist. The next three come from men who are afflicted with three special plagues; noisome sores, scorching heat, heavy hail stones. These men know who is sending them the plagues, and instead of repenting, they curse God. The antichrist curses God, his heavenly city and throne, and the angels that dwell in heaven. Blaspheme means swearing at, cursing, to speak impiously or irreverently of (God or sacred things). To speak evil of, to slander, to abuse, to speak of or address with irreverence. The antichrist and men of the earth do not acknowledge God for who he is and instead curse and swear at him, in other words, blaspheme against God.
Three-fold Reference to the serpent:
- … “And the great dragon was cast out, the old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” (Rev. 12:9). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.” ( 12:15). (Emphasis added).
- … “And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years.” (Rev. 20:2). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: serpent is not capitalized. serpent is intended as a description, not a name or title. The reference of the description is to that of the serpent in Genesis; lying, deceiving, intent on destroying and manipulating, corrupted, slithering in the shadows and hiding in the dark (spiritually). These adjectives can be summed up one description … serpent. The descriptive use of serpent is included in a foursome (4) referenced as dragon, serpent, Devil and Satan. dragon / serpent are two (2) descriptions, Devil / Satan are two (2) names. (2 + 2 = 4). This is a double of a double, or a duplicate measure of two (2). Four (4) denotes foursquareness in symmetry and balance of plan or purpose. Two (2) signifies that God is solidy confirming a matter by adding an equal measure. Flood is mentioned twice (2), casting out is mentioned twice (2). The two descriptions plus two names perfectly indicate who is being mentioned. There is no question as this entities status or who he is. Two (2) things happen to him, 1st he is cast out of heaven and onto the earth, the 2nd occurs when he is bound and placed into the bottomless pit for 1,000 years. These verses also indicate that he does two (2) things; the 1st is that he deceives the whole world, the 2nd is that he tries to destroy Israel by a flood. Here again, there is a “double of a double”, (2 +2 = 4), he does two things and two things are meted out to him. The last double of a double in these verses occurs when the foursome of descriptions/names (dragon, serpent, Devil, Satan) is repeated twice, once in 12:9 and one again in 20:2.Through the Holy Spirit, God uses a description element of serpent three (3) times in Revelation.
Three-fold References to Deception:
- … “ … for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.” (Rev. 18:23). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimeston.” (Rev. 19:20). (Emphasis added).
- … “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimestone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” (Rev. 20:10). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: The first deception referenced is that from Babylon City (the great city). The second deception referenced is that from the false prophet. The third deception referenced is that from the devil or Satan. All three serve an evil purpose of deceiving men.
Three-fold Reference to Mountains:
- … “;And every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And (men) hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of mountains; and said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb;” (Rev. 6:14-16). (Emphasis added).
- … “And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.” (Rev. 16:20). (Emphasis added).
- … “The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman (Babylon) sitteth.” (Rev. 17:90). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: First two verses deal with earthquakes, the fourth verse describes babylon being nestled within seven (7) mountains. The bible is very explicit that Babylon sits on Seven (7) mountains. There are no hills mentioned anywhere in Revelation. I take the Bible to be literal in this regard. You can research this and decide for yourself. There is futher proof elsewhere in Revelation, that suggests the interpretation of connecting these four verses together to earthquakes is correct. Rev. 18-19 indicates, “; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great. And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the firceness of his wrath.” There are three more hints or indications that the earthquake that hits Babylon happens very fast; Verses: 18:10, 18:17 and 18:19 all indicate that Babylon is completely destroyed and annihilated by this great earthquake within just “one hour”! There is a double of a double (2+2=4) in the threee versess. Islands were moved out of their places / fled away, Mountains were moved out of their places / were not found. Foursquareness (4) represents an added measure of equal weight or importance.
Men think that mountains can protect them from the wrath of the Lamb, but that is not the case. The are so absolutely terrified by the wrath of Jesus Christ, that they would rather die on the spot by an avalanche, rather than have to face the Lamb, Jesus Christ. At the sight of Christ, they immediately know, or are convicted of their life of sin which will come with judgement. They would rather die now from rocks, and be hidden and covered up, hoping to escape the punishment that Christ brings on The Day of the Lord, than in having to face him at judgement. In their twisted fear and self-condemnation, they feel that being confronted by Christ directly, is worse than death itself. These poor men are truly deceived, they ignored the messages of salvation, grace and the forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ. They had a chance to be saved earlier, and either ignored the message, didn’t believe it was true, forgot about it or didn’t think it applied to them, or procrastinated in thinking about it. In any case, it is now too late and they are absolutely terrified of the wrath that Jesus Christ brings. Pity, they now think their only escape is a pile of rocks. They literally feel like they want to ‘just crawl under a rock and die,’ due to their shame and embarrassement at having rejected Jesus Christ. Painful, very painful. An understatement.
Three-fold Reference to Affliction of Christians:
- … “I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation (affliction), and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ: ” (Rev. 1:9). (Emphasis added).
- … “I know thy works, and tribulation (affliction), and poverty, (but thou are rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.” (Rev. 2:09). (Emphasis added).
- … “Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation (affliction) ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.” (Rev. 2:10). (Emphasis added).
Commentary: After these three references regarding tribulation or affliction of Christians, there is no longer any reference regarding tribulatiion of the church or Church Age Christians. No, not one reference. It is as if the church ‘disappeared’ and is no longer present during the tribulation period. Thus, there is no need for the Holy Spirit to comment on the tribulation or affliction of Christians from the Church Age. There is a reference made to tribulation in Rev. 7:14, but it is abundantly clear that this is the tribulation experienced by the martryed saints, who came out of the Tribulation period. “They are which came out of the great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.” (Emphasis added). Put another checkmark on the logical list of reasons why the church is raptured/harpzoed prior to the onset of the Tribulation period.
Another important message in these three verses clearly indicates that while we (Age of Grace Christians) are walking the earth, we can and should expect tribulation or affliction for bearing witness to Christ. As the world hates Christ, so to will it hate us. Afflication can come from unknown people; strangers, co-workers, friends, family, bosses, companies, media, government, celebrities, musicians, politicians, talking-heads on news cable networks, comedians, movie stars, billionaires and lower-tier multi-millionaires, people from man-made religions, talk show hosts and other such people in the public eye, the list goes on and on. Affliction can be something as simple as a snide comment, a dirty look, evasiveness, a gruff rebuttal, a quick ‘don’t bother me, leave me alone’ comment, an unflattering comment made behind your back (but loud enough that you hear it), people shunning you. Afflication can be more aggressive whereby someone cusses at you, tells you to ‘….-off’ or threatens you verbally, or suggests they will do something physical to you.
In extreme cases of afflication; imprisoment, torture and death of Christians is increasingly occuring around the world today. Not only in obvious places like North Korea, China, the Middle East, Africa and India, but in other places you wouldn’t expect. These places have such an inbred, historical, traditional, taught, institutionalized, officially-sanctioned, extreme hatred of Christ and anything to do with Christianity. A Christian doesn’t even have to say anything on order to be arrested, to be thrown into prison, to be tortured or martryed. No one wants to be reminded or given a hint that they have a problem of sin that needs to be addressed by a supernatural entity. They think it is absurd, a fairy tale, a myth, something perhaps from long ago that has no bearing on life today. That they have no problem, that there is no such thing as sin. if Jesus is as you say he is, where is he now? Whatever man-made religion they are following tells them that they are good as is. People get really unnerved, unscrewed and uncorked when something (someone) confronts (presents) them kindly or threatens to pull them out of their comfort zone or self-held/induced, mental/spiritual security blanket. Nobody willingly wants to be thrown into a cold pool of water, when its cold outside. The list of rebuttals, denials, mockery, defiance, self-righteousness, naysayers, nitpickers, logickickers and some cases violence, will continue until the playing field changes in the favor of Christ. Just as football players get banged up playing in their field, we to will we get banged up (and in some cases killed) playing in our spiritual field. Christ promised many eternal rewards for those of us who are over comers. Hang in there and occupy, until the Lord comes for you.
Leave a Reply